smart Frames and bezels tutorial

Started by ricoma, January 15, 2016, 08:41:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ricoma

I found an instruction on how to create smart frames and bezels with a constant width. I was quite excited as I can really use something like this. Well I can't make it work with visio 2013. As you can see, there is a small mystery marquee in the lower corner that controls the frame scale but the frame just acts like a normal shape and stretches most frustratingly. I would appreciate it if someone who has made this work in 2013 would be kind enough to explain to the newb how to make a multi concentric rectangular shape that grows while maintaining its border relations.

JuneTheSecond

As I cannot understand your beautiful English, I assume it is a matter of page settings.
Right click page tab, click context menu "Page Setup", select tab "Page Size", select "Pre-defined size", and set proper page size. 
Best Regards,

Junichi Yoda
http://june.minibird.jp/

wapperdude

I had trouble viewing the attachment.

Can you upload Visio file example, vsd preferred, or the link to the instructions? 

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

ricoma

I have attached a visio(2013) drawing with the shapesheet data shown. Here is the link to the tutorial  http://www.visguy.com/2008/06/15/smart-frames-bezels-1/. You can see that for some reason my Y value is not 1ft (same as the x value).

wapperdude

I only have V2007, please save as vsd, not vsdx.  The formulas are good for both.

Thanks

Wapperdude.
Visio 2019 Pro

Yacine

I had a look at your frame. Its geometry sections were made of the new rel... rows. This messed it up.
Converted them to the old simple row types (LineTo instead of RelLineTo).
Now it works (red shape).
Did not investigate further more.
Yacine

ricoma

Thanks Yacine, this leads to my next question; How do I convert new rows to old rows?

ricoma

Ok i saved as old vsd which brought up the old stile "Line to" shape data, Yacine was talking about. But the issue remains. This does not work. If I place the shape on the screen and stretch it, it just behaves like grouped rectangles. The two rectangles do not maintain a consistent border. Also the peculiar pick box is still in the lower left corner and controls re sizing.

wapperdude

Well, what Yacine is saying, you need to convert to row type in the geometry section.  You do this by right clicking in a geometry row, brings up a new menu, select row type, and select Line To.  Did you try looking at Yacine's file?  It's in the newer Visio format file format, but should have the correct line types, and it does work...I guess, but, I can't look at it to verify.   :-\

Because the geometry sections had row type using "RelLine To", newly introduced V2010 feature, I don't think it will save correctly as old file type, VSD.  I looked at your vsd file, and the formulas became all whacked out.

Take a closer look at what's in Yacine's file.  Compare it with what the Visio Guy link shows, and then look at your shapesheet.  There ought to be enough info to get you thru this.  But don't give up! There are still other things to do to get this resolved.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

Yacine

Thank you, Wayne. I agree with everything :D.
Yacine

ricoma

Thank you both, I didn't realize that Yacine had included a new attachment. Yes this works!

ricoma

The smart frame works great! For my application I added 5 more concentric rectangles. Next question, is there a way to make each rectangle have a different line weight? It seems to be an all or none situation with combined objects.

wapperdude

Within a single shape with multiple geometry sections, line weight, color, pattern are universal.  To get separate line characteristics you would need separate shapes, grouped.  Do-able.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

ricoma

Ok I placed a rectangle with a different line weight inside my first set of rectangles and grouped the two. When the shape is placed on the screen it reverts back to relmoveTo, RelLineTo... and loses the border consistency.

Yacine

Hi Ricoma,
That's right. When Visio makes groups, it sets the sub-shapes relatively to the container shape and will distord them. In the newer versions it will even change the row type.
You'll have to dive in the shapesheets of the sub-shapes and correct the formulas.

Speaking about frames and bevels, have thought about using custom line types? Search the forum for them, there are many many posts. A lot of potential.

Cheers,
Y.
Yacine