changing a sheet number

Started by jebuxx, September 05, 2017, 05:13:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jebuxx

Hello, Is there a way to change a sheet number. Lets say I have a sheet.14 and want to change it to sheet.27.
Reason is this way I do not need to rewrite my formulas.  Thoughts?

Jim

Yacine

If you referenced sheet.27 directly, then you did something wrong.

If it's in the shapesheet, then ID numbers will be corrected automatically ... unless you wrote the reference in a string. (Solution is to leave the reference "alive" eg: "sheet!" & sheet.27!id() & "... whatever")

If it is in VBA code, you need a strategy to identify the shape. Never ever write a macro with a hard coded ID. There are many ways to identify a shape (selection, user defined cells, ...)

I highly recommend that you rewrite your formulas.

Cheers, Y.
Yacine

jebuxx

so what you are saying is that there is no way to change the sheet number? Again, if I have a shape that has the sheet number of 14 and I want to change that shape to have a sheet number of 27 that this can not be done?

Jim

Yacine

No this is not possible. Visio assigns the IDs and won't let you mess with them.
Yacine

jebuxx

Nikolay

What if you save file as xml, and then change it there using notepad?
Means, it has only theoretical interest probably, but sill  ;D

To avoid rewriting your formulas, don't bind them to shape IDs.

wapperdude

I think "sheet" is a reserved designation.  Visio won't allow changes like described here.  You can change name to WAP, or even WAP.27.  But, you cannot change the ID number from what I can tell. 

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

jebuxx

thanx all for weighing in. Well I guess it is back to changing all my formulas.