Problem Gluing Shape with Connection Points

Started by RhesusMinus, June 24, 2011, 12:28:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RhesusMinus

Hello again.

See attached drawing. NB1-63H has connection point on each side. As has XF9.
The XF9 glues perfectly to NB1-63H, both sides. The NB1-63H however doesn't glue to anything!?
And I really don't understand why.. again.

Any logic in this?

THL

wapperdude

Hmmmm.  Don't see any attachment.
Visio 2019 Pro

RhesusMinus

Sorry... A little too stressed. Here it is...

RhesusMinus

I just did a quick test myself (Now that I've got some sleep), and deleted all subshapes named "CenikaLayoutPartNumberX". Now, it glued the connection points.

Seriously.. is the Visio graphics engine so bad that it cant handle this? Some of these symbols, with this "complexity" was used in Autodesk Actrix (that died a silent death back in 2000) with no hick-ups what so ever...

THL

wapperdude

Connection points are known to be, uh, tempermental.    ???

Glad you got some rest and found a work-around.   8)
Visio 2019 Pro

Visio Guy

The original attachment glued just fine for me (in Visio 2010). When connection points are close together, you need to click+drag near the point that you want to glue. Since the card is long and thin, Visio might be unsure about which side you want to glue.

You are right to reduce the complexity of your groups, though. In the article When 2D Glue Breaks, there is a quote from the Visio development team regarding 2D glue, connection points, and shape complexity:

QuoteThere is a threshold of 25 shapes (including sub-shapes) for showing a bitmap image of your selection while dragging. Above this threshold Visio only shows a rectangular outline. Using 2D glue is dependent on the bitmap drag image being available, so there is in effect a limit on the complexity of shapes that want to support 2D glue.

There is a registry key to remove the 25 shape threshold. Set: "HKCUSoftwareMicrosoftOffice12.0VisioApplicationDragBitmap" to "REG_SZ". The side effect is that you will encounter degraded performance as you drag more complex shapes around.
For articles, tips and free content, see the Visio Guy Website at http://www.visguy.com
Get my Visio Book! Using Microsoft Visio 2010