shape with multiple text lines, but not a group

Started by perry59, April 06, 2015, 09:51:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

perry59

I have a shape I was given, pretty simple, just a box. but there are a few lines of text that are part of the shape which can be altered by the context menu. the text itself is not selectable, I do not see it referenced in the shapesheet and the shape is not a group.

Can anyone tell me how I could get to the text within this shape?
how is a shape like this constructed?
thanks
perry
what, me worry?

Yacine

Looks like everything is stored in the text fields section of the shapesheet. Check it.
Yacine

perry59

Quote from: Yacine on April 06, 2015, 10:14:37 PM
Looks like everything is stored in the text fields section of the shapesheet. Check it.

that seems to control formatting on just one line of the three lines of text. What about the other two lines?
how is the text position controlled?
I am interested in creating a shape like this where associated text has no influence on shapes handles (note when selecting the shape, the handles conform exactly to the square, the text looks as if its not part of the shape)
what, me worry?

wapperdude

The Insert>Field references various User entries.  The User entries have additional formulas, which contain char(10), causing a line feed.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

perry59

Quote from: wapperdude on April 07, 2015, 12:11:56 AM
The Insert>Field references various User entries.  The User entries have additional formulas, which contain char(10), causing a line feed.

Wapperdude
I know how to insert a field, but to do so you must select a text entity. The text in this shape is not selectable. Why do the size handles of this shape not include the text?
what, me worry?

wapperdude

The text box has been shifted outside of the shape.  To select the text, you must be in Text or Text Block mode.  But, you can overwrite by just typing.  That, of course, clobbers the formulas.

Same behavior if you were to draw a simple shape and move the text box outside of the shape. 

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

perry59

ok, I am seeing that now. Just not used to that technique.
I think this will get me where I want to go.

thanks!
what, me worry?