Connection Point Explanation

Started by Aussie_J, August 19, 2013, 09:23:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aussie_J

Hi All,

First time here so thanks for your time.  I have scoured the net looking for a simple bare bones explanation about Connection Points when using them with shapes.  I can place them on the shapes put I don't know how to set the connection angle etc as it appears some sort of formula is required.  All the examples I have seen and checked out appear to work fine but I am missing the concept.

Basically I want to make some shapes (that will be used as stencils) that need to be able to be stacked together.  For example a network of pipes. Rather than just lining them up I would just like them to "snap" together one after the other.

Any help with getting the penny to drop here would be much appreciated.

Cheers
J

Yacine

Hi J,
it may be tempting to use connection points to connect all sort of shapes, but don't expect too much.
Would you like to tell us more about your project?

To answer your question: the connecting angle is defined by the vector defined by x and y. positive values will orient the vector upward and to the right and vice versa.

HTH, Y.
Yacine

Aussie_J

Hi Yacine,

Ty for your reply.  What I am trying to do is make some shapes that represent certain items of plant.  These could be anything but is they were pieces of pipe for instance, the dimensions and mounting points would be set.  Therefore I would like to be able to "snap" them together one after the other.  As opposed to lining them up.  This would allow a bunch of stencils to be made that can quickly be laid out.

There fore I am trying to understand the Connection Point formula's.  I have made some rough progress but it is more trial and error and pretty rough compared with some of the examples I have seen.

From what I have worked out the angle of the connection point is the intersection of DirX/A & DirY/B as seen on a Cartesian Plane.  The value doesn't appear to matter but rather the relation of the magnitudes of the values.  It also appears to be relative to when the connection point was placed.  Ie if the shape is rotated the Connection Point angle wrt to the shape remains the same.

If this is the case I can work with it, but I was also hoping to understand what the formulas are for in some of the examples I have seen. 

Thanks Again
J

Yacine

Hi J,
from your last post I understand that you understood how the connection points work.
What may be added, is connection point type 0,1,2 which stands for "connections can be made to the point", "shape can be connected to a connection point" and "both".
I'm adding a small drawing showing my own difficulties handling the connection angles between two shapes.
And last be not least: If instead of just snapping shapes to certain points, you want to glue them, remember that the gluing chains should not be too long, otherwise visio won't properly recalculate the position of the glued shapes.
Cheers, Y.
Yacine

Aussie_J

Hi Yacine,

What is the difficulty you are having with your drawing?    I have played around with the shapes and they appear to act as expected.  Albeit with my limited knowledge about connection points anyhow  :)

J

JohnGoldsmith

Hi,

Just to add a few references, which you may have come across already:

Best regards

John
John Goldsmith - Visio MVP
http://visualsignals.typepad.co.uk/

Yacine

I wanted the inclined side of the shape to align along the side, not at 90 degrees.
Yacine