Custom Alignment Box - Help?

Started by pentala, January 05, 2010, 08:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pentala

Hi,

I am trying to create some master shapes to use with the rack layout templates. I've noticed that the Visio provided shapes have a custom alignment box added to help them snap to the racks.

I've looked around the web but can't seem to find a good explaination of how to use alignment boxes - i've found one on the MSDN site but I don't seem to be able to get the example to work... :-(

Does anyone know of a good, simple alignment box example that I can have a look at and practice with?

Many thanks,

Andy.

Visio Guy

Hi Andy,

I think the rack equipment has "One D" object handles, so that both ends can snap into rack-unit connection points.

You can make a shape One D via the Format > Behavior dialog. Look for interaction style.

That should get you a little bit further along...
For articles, tips and free content, see the Visio Guy Website at http://www.visguy.com
Get my Visio Book! Using Microsoft Visio 2010

wapperdude

The approach used on the rack shapes is relatively simple concept.  The shape essentially consists of a 19" line (1D shape) with connector points on each end.  (I don't think you can use the dynamic connector for this, however.)  The line is converted to a group.  Then, the other shapes are added to the line group.  The line itself has no thickness or, alternatively, can be hidden.

That's basically it.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro