ownerdrawn smarthshapes in C# with embedded images?

Started by TheRhinoDude, March 14, 2015, 03:39:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheRhinoDude

I'm new to Visio extensibility, but have been using C# since Day 1 as well as other office automation.  I've been googling this morning and can't find a straight answer as to what I can and cannot do with custom smart shapes.  Some background...

I need to build an app that has diagramming features that has shapes that have multiple text editable sections as and can have user assignable image thumbnails embedded within one of the sections as well.  I also want to have total control over the drawing and bordering of these various sections.  There will be several variations of these shapes which contain data context.  I may use Visio for this app via extensibility, or I may write my own from ground up using a diagramming library that will afford me this level of control.  I'd prefer the former.

1) Can I use C# to write a custom stencil with these shapes which will give me total render control over how these shapes are drawn and how they interact with either other, handles, grips, rotation, context menu item, custom popup property editor, and so forth?  In particular, the ability to draw an image thumbnail within the smarthshape itself?  As is the custom property editor popup.  What is in this editor will be data driven and defined outside of Visio.

2) Assuming the above is possible, can these be easily released into the wild for people to consume in a professional manner, for example using a standard MSI which simply installs a library assembly that provides the stencils / templates, and makes Visio 2010/2013 aware of the stencil and shapes?

That's all I can think of for now... ;-)

Thanks in advance,
- Rhino