Embedded Links in Visio Not Updating to Word

Started by visio_newb, March 19, 2014, 11:21:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

visio_newb

Hi all,
Couldn't find anything in the forums on this so hoping for some help. Using Visio 2010 and Word 2010.

I've got a load of workflow diagrams that are functioning like swimlanes. The heading for each swim lane have changed recently as someone decided they didn't like the name, so I have over 80 changes to do and I'm looking for a better way to do it incase they decide to change the labels again in the future, hence I want to 'single-source' the headings.

What I've done is create a single visio that has the heading labels only, spaced as I need them. I've embedded this as an object (created from file) and 'linked to file' in the visio drawing.
So now when the labels change, I just change the source visio file and the visio updates. Perfect.

The problem is, all these visios are living within a single Word document rather than individual files in their own right. When I look at these visios in Word, the labels are not updating, but when I open the visio via Word the label is updated. I'm not really sure if this is a Word issue, or a Visio issue and if there is any way to force an update. I've tried a force update in word (F9) and it hasn't done anything.

Any suggestions? I'm open to doing this in any other way, I just don't want to manually edit all these heading labels.

FYI. These diagrams are not true swimlanes (cross funct. diagrams) they have been thrown together to resemble a swimlane but are really just shapes etc joined together that I inherited. I'm looking to see if I can achieve the same thing using true cross funct. diagrams in visio, but I still really want to link the label headings that are common so I don't have to change them in every single diagram.

Thanks,
Nick

Yacine

Yacine