Visio 2013 and Oblique/Isometric connector

Started by numpty, October 15, 2014, 07:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

numpty

Hi folks (first post!),

I tried to "install" the Oblique connector found here: http://www.visguy.com/2007/10/29/oblique-connectors-for-your-3d-diagrams/

I can't seem to integrate it into the toolbar as the article demonstrates. I'm sure there's a "how-to" for this, but I can't seem to find it. Can you please point me in the right direction?

As it stands now, I've got the connector saved as a 'shape' in 'favourites', but it's relatively useless there as I can't change it's mode/angle, etc...

wapperdude

Hmmmm...

Think you may have mis-understood.  There is no tool bar installation.  Download and unzip file.  You get a .vsd file.  This was written for V2007.  Open the file, I don't have V2013, but the vsd ought to open.

You need to copy the connector shape to a custom stencil so that it can be available for any new file by accessing the custom stencil.

In the meantime, if you select the shape, and right click with the mouse, you ought to seen the context menu window with all of the various options.  Don't think this is version dependent.  If you select and copy the shape, you can close the vsd file, then open a new or existing file, and paste the oblique connector.  All of the functionality still preserved.  Save drawing as usual.  However, without a custom stencil, the connector is only available thru the local, saved file.

HTH
Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

numpty

Clearly I have, but it seems something is still wrong.

Should it be able to snap to connector points, or will it always be manual? Is there a way for it to line up perfectly on an isometric grid? Drawing lines manually seems to take less time/look better than this connector. If it doesn't snap, is there a point?

wapperdude

In V2007, the behavior is normal as long as the snap and glue settings are active and correctly set.  The behavior is same as normal connector.  Obviously, you have to drag each end to be within snapping distance.

This connector is limited to doing only isometric or straight lines, it won't do either vertical or horizontal lines.

Beyond that, perhaps a V2013 user can shed some additional info regarding this connector and V2013 compatibility.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

numpty

It seems that changing the format back to a *.vsd allows the connectors to function somewhat as you would expect, however the angle is off :(

On the post itself he notes:
QuoteVisio's snazzy 3D network shapes appear to be drawn as true isometric projections. That means their lines run at 30° from the horizontal. So our connector should technically use the 30° setting to match the angles of the network shapes. We've found, however, that the setting 1:2 is very close to 30° (it's 26.6°...) works very well, because it's easier to position the network shapes in 1:2 increments by snapping to the grid.

Is there a way to make them truly isometric (30°)?

Alternatively, is there a way to place shapes in a 3D pattern precisely without using a true isometric grid? It throws off the illusion quite badly (Black is the isometric connector in 1:2, orange are true isometric lines done manually):

Thoughts?

numpty

Answering my own post....This wasn't there originally, but apparently after starting a new diagram in vsd, 30° is an option and it looks just fine.... Thank you for your patience wrapperdude :)