shape search

Started by goltoof, July 08, 2011, 07:11:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

goltoof

Looks like this has been asked a few times, no clear answer.

Is there a de facto way to get shape search working in 2007?   I've read that you need to keep shapes in the "My Shapes" folder, which I have mapped to a location on a local server.  When I check Shape Search in Options I have Everywhere selected under Search locations.  The only options are My Computer > Visio Local Shapes and The Internet.

When I do a search it only shows shape masters that I set up a long time ago that aren't on my computer or on the Local server anymore.  I even tried putting all shapes/stencils in My Shapes on my computer and changing the file path there.   It still doesn't search for any new shapes, just ghosts.  This implies it's only searching for ghost shapes and none of my current shapes no matter where my shapes are located.

Why would it be showing these shapes?  Does it have to do with indexing?  Is there a way to clear indexing and make it update with my current shapes?

I've also tried searching by kewords that I put into the masters, but that's obviously not going to work until I address this.

goltoof

Anyone?  Wrong room?

aledlund

Barb Way did a post over on one of the MS forums about search. The long and the short of it is that Visio takes advantage of the operating system search facilities, so you have to start there (xp, vista, win 7). Keep in mind that MS dropped the web server search engines when 2010 came out, so that part is gone for all of the versions.
al

goltoof

Quote from: aledlund on July 14, 2011, 09:19:27 PM
Barb Way did a post over on one of the MS forums about search. The long and the short of it is that Visio takes advantage of the operating system search facilities, so you have to start there (xp, vista, win 7). Keep in mind that MS dropped the web server search engines when 2010 came out, so that part is gone for all of the versions.
al

I saw that thread too, which consisted mainly of people trying one theoretical solution after another and finding no resolve to their problems, which makes me one of them.  After several hours of trying every solution presented in that thread, I failed to get it to search my shapes, anywhere, locally or remotely.

Why can't there just be a de-facto how-to guide to set up shape search in Visio?   It's a feature, and out of the box it clearly seems to be broken.  Searching pulls up nothing and that seems to be the only thread in existence addressing the problem and in turn exposing just how big of a disaster it is to attempt to fix it.