Notification or flag when a milestone is reached on a timeline

Started by SteveArndt, December 30, 2008, 03:37:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveArndt

I have checked the forum and don't see an answer to this.  Perhaps it is basic, but I cannot find the answer...

In a timeline (Visio 2003), when the "Today" line reaches a milestone, is there a way to generate a reminder or flag to say this milestone is "due"?

Could this be done using a macro, Visual Basic, or some other method?

Thanks,

Steve

wapperdude

Well, yes...

The Timeline shapes have a lot of protection and special formatting, so it's difficult to make modifications directly to them.  But all the hooks are there to do this easily in a shapesheet.  For example, you could create your own shape and then control either it's visibility, fill color, text color.  A construct might be:
=IF(FLOOR(NOW())=sheet.22!User.visMilestoneDate,RGB(0,0,255),RGB(0,0,0)).

This returns the color blue when today=milestone date, otherwise black.  In this example, sheet.22 represents the shape ID of the milestone shape in question. 

HTH
Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

Visio Guy

I guess you have 2003. With Visio 2007 Pro, you might be able to make some Data Graphics that could be applied to shapes to show "red alerts" or something similar.

The nice thing about Data Graphics is that you don't have to go and mess with each shape, since they get applied and de-applied from shapes separately.
For articles, tips and free content, see the Visio Guy Website at http://www.visguy.com
Get my Visio Book! Using Microsoft Visio 2010

wapperdude

Visio 2019 Pro

SteveArndt

Thanks wapperdude and Visio Guy...

QuoteI guess you have 2003. With Visio 2007 Pro, you might be able to make some Data Graphics that could be applied to shapes to show "red alerts" or something similar.

Yes, I have 2003 Std.

If I interpret your response correctly, the instructions given by wapperdude only apply to 2007??  Is that right, or did I read too far into your response?

As I am just getting back into Visio after not using the program for many years, it appears I have a lot to learn about the deeper functions.  That's okay... I love a challenge!

I am exploring the usefulness of Visio timelines as a simple, easily read tool to share with others involved in the projects I am managing.  The main question I am getting from the recipients is, "will this timeline tell me when a task is due... or nearly due?". 

Although I don't see this as necessary, I am trying to accommodate...

Thanks for the help so far.

Steve

wapperdude

No, my comments will apply to both V2003 and V2007.  VisioGuy was pointing out the power of Data Graphics, which would be a better option if that were available.
Visio 2019 Pro

Visio Guy

Yeah, the Data Graphics feature is only available in Visio 2007 Pro. The ShapeSheet is available to all versions, so wapperdude's functions will work in 2003 or newer.
For articles, tips and free content, see the Visio Guy Website at http://www.visguy.com
Get my Visio Book! Using Microsoft Visio 2010

SteveArndt

QuoteNo, my comments will apply to both V2003 and V2007.
QuoteThe ShapeSheet is available to all versions, so wapperdude's functions will work in 2003 or newer.

Again, thanks to both.

I appreciate the assistance.  This will be helpful.

Steve