Template size

Started by goltoof, April 26, 2011, 11:32:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

goltoof

I just noticed a template of mine has become obscenely large (28mb).  So I created a new one, copied everything in it and created and exact duplicate.  The new template is 50kb. 

Why is this?  It's the exact same template with all the same stencils open but where's the other 28mb?  Is there some kind of data that builds up in a template that needs to be flushed out every once in a while?

Paul Herber

It's probably the unused master shapes stored in the document stencil (menu File -> Shapes -> Document Stencil)
Visimation do a utility to clean up documents and I think there is a built-in option in Visio 2010.
Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

goltoof

Quote from: Paul Herber on April 27, 2011, 12:03:22 AM
It's probably the unused master shapes stored in the document stencil (menu File -> Shapes -> Document Stencil).  Visimation do a utility to clean up documents and I think there is a built-in option in Visio 2010.

That definitely seems to be it.  What's the deal with the document stencil anyway?  What's the point in it being there if I have stencils open?  And why does it keep the shapes after I deleted them.

One major problem I have with my templates is some shapes take forever to load when I drag them over from a stencil, but when I drag the same shapes in the document stencil over they load right away.  So how do I store shapes in the stencils into the document the same way the document stencil does so they load faster, but keep them organized in separate stencils?

Jumpy

Quote from: goltoof on April 27, 2011, 03:27:11 PM
That definitely seems to be it.  What's the deal with the document stencil anyway?  What's the point in it being there if I have stencils open?  And why does it keep the shapes after I deleted them.

If you drag a shape on a page 10 times you only drop it one time into the page's document documentstencil and than create references to that "local" master in the document stenil for all the 10 shapes. That keeps the neccessary memoryspace low, I think. If you change the color of one shape, only this change has to be saved additionaly.

Quotewhen I drag the same shapes in the document stencil over they load right away.
The reason should be clear now, I think.

For the rest. I seem to recall (from another thread) that some other members of this forum didn't have the problems you mentioned with your stencils? Maybe it's your machine or the document stencils are really to full?

wapperdude

The document stencil is a local copy of each shape placed on a drawing page within a document.  That way, if you share the document, you don't have to send all of the associated master stencils.  Also, if someone should modify a master shape without you knowing, your drawing would still remain unchanged.  It also allows you to make local changes, e.g., line stuff, fill stuff, etc, without editting the master on the master stencil.  But, just because you delete a shape from your drawing, it doesn't delete from the document stencil, so, the stencil can grow and grow and grow.

Like Mom, Visio is not the maid and doesn't clean up after us.   :D  Unlike Mom, Visio never told us to do this,  :-\,  Perhaps Visio feels we didn't listen to Mom, why would we listen to Visio?   ??? :o

HTH
Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

goltoof

Quote from: Jumpy on April 27, 2011, 07:57:21 PM
For the rest. I seem to recall (from another thread) that some other members of this forum didn't have the problems you mentioned with your stencils? Maybe it's your machine or the document stencils are really to full?

Yup, pretty much.  Cleaned out the doc stencil and now everything loads like greased lightning!