I am loosing my layer membership when placing shape from stencil on page

Started by ThirdDimension, November 15, 2015, 03:36:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThirdDimension

I built a connector that automatically populates connector point depending on the shapes height.  I also added two text fields for each connector point for numerical pinout and pin description.

As the shape is stretched, the connector points and text fields hide/show depending on the master shape height.  I choose to hide/show the text fields by switching the layer membership which works well.

This working shape was then dragged into my stencils to create a master.  The shape works when you open the master in the stencil.

However, when I put the  master shape from stencil onto the new page, I loose all my layer membership coding on the text fields.

Here is the formula that I placed in each text field's shape sheet layer membership line.

=GUARD(IF(Sheet.2031!Height>39.6 mm,0,1))

Does anyone have any suggestions as to why I would loose my layer membership when placing an shape on to a page?

thanks 3rd D

Paul Herber

Your Sheet.2013 reference is wrong (probably), Where did that come from? You probably need to reference the to shape of the group within the master. Then, when the shape is dropped on the page the reference will be updated.

Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

Surrogate

At page you can have a lot of shapes, more that 2018! When you copy some shapes for make master and paste in in new page shapes count may be less that 2018. And you can get broken formula

Yacine

Don't use layers in combination with stencils.
Use the techniques described here: http://www.visguy.com/2006/09/05/the-hidden-world-of-visio-shapes/ to hide elements of shapes.

Layers belong to pages or stencils. If either the page you drop the stencil on or the stencil does not have the layer you intend to use, then the reference can be replaced by REF().
Yacine

ThirdDimension

UPDATE:

I made a little progress with all your help.  I am not quite there yet, but still working on it. 

As of right now, the shape hide features that I programmed work perfectly inside the stnecil.  Hide features also work when I "CTL C" the stencil and "CTL V" onto the page, but  stencil loses reference when I drag and drop the stencil onto the page. 

I noticed that a stencil gets automatically grouped when pulled form a stencil, and I think this is corrupting my references yeilding REF().

Do you have any suggestions? Is there a way to turn off the auto grouping on drag and drop?

thanks

3rd D

Yacine

Not quite sure how to answer to this last post.
What have you tried so far?
Yacine

Paul Herber

If the shape is composed of many parts (each part being on a layer), when that shape is dropped on a page then it will automatically become grouped but the group part will not be on any layer. So, you might need to edit your shape to group it and add layer information.
Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/