Shape Data & Grouping

Started by Rick Kachur, November 01, 2013, 03:01:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Kachur

Hello,
I am perplexed about grouping objects and retaining shape data.  I am trying to Ungroup an object and then group that object with another that contains the desired shape data.  The first object is rack mounted device imported from Net Zoom.  I delete all of this objects shape data and 'Ungroup'.  The second object is a rectangle with 'No Fill' that contains the desired Shape Data,  The first object is sent to the 'Back' and the second object is sent to the 'Front'.  I then 'Group' the two objects but lose my Shape Data.  Any clues as to the method?

aledlund

When you 'group' a number of shapes you are creating a new shape with the others as sub-shapes. The new shape does not inherit any of the sub-shape data from the assorted shapes. The inverse happens when you ungroup a shape, the top shape and all of it's data is then lost.
al

Paul Herber

Any part of a grouped shape can have shape data but only that associated with the top level group shape is visible. Imagine a grouped shape containing 3 other shapes, each of which contained shape data with the same name, it just wouldn't work.
As Al says, ungrouping the shape will lose all the information associated with the group. Don't do it, there is never a reason to ungroup, there is always another way. Use the Open <group> on the Edit menu.
To get at the shape's shape data to copy and paste it I have a utility that can do this:
http://www.sandrila.co.uk/visio-utilities/
and use the menu Super Utils -> Shape -> Copy -> Shape Data
Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

Yacine

You may convert the shape that contains the data in a group. not by grouping, but by converting it (menu shape/grouping/convert to group). Then copy the shape without data, go into the shape that contains the data (edit/open group), paste the shape without data, rearrange fore/backgrounds.
This does not work if the containing shape has opaque geometries (hides the included shapes).
Yacine

Rick Kachur

All,
  I appreciate the repies.  I'll let you know what happens the next time I need to copy the Shape Data.

Rick