Creating a shape with a pattern inside

Started by bentheimmigrant, April 23, 2009, 09:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bentheimmigrant

Basically, I need to create a fill pattern for a shape where circles are arranged in a certain way. They need to be 6 mm circles, arranged 15mm apart in a triangular pattern. I need about 59000 circles, so it's too much to do with actual circles. As long as the pattern looks roughly right it's ok, as I'll have a magnified view with it properly done. I'm very new to Visio, so please talk to me like you would a simpleton. I tried using one of the fill patterns, but it appears to always be the same resolution regardless of zoom, so it's not quite right.

Thanks

Ben

JuneTheSecond

Best Regards,

Junichi Yoda
http://june.minibird.jp/

bentheimmigrant

Quote from: JuneTheSecond on April 24, 2009, 12:23:21 AM
Hi,

How would you like to make your own custom fill pettern?
http://www.visguy.com/2008/09/09/hexagonal-custom-fill-pattern/

I guess that's probably it... I don't have access to visio just at the moment, but I'll let you know what I come up with.

bentheimmigrant

OK... I've got the pattern... Now I need to create a shape out of different lines. I can do that, but the some lines are dotted and some aren't. When I join them, they all become the same. Is there any way of avoiding this. I should point out that many lines are curved, so it makes things a little harder.

Thanks

wapperdude

A single line can only have a single pattern as far as I know.  You can have varying line styles but they will have to be separate lines.  You can snap and glue them, just don't join them.  If you need a filled shape with various line patterns around the border, I'd try this approach:

1.)  Draw your shape, duplicate it.
2.)  Move the duplicate away from the original.  Take the line tool and draw lines that cross the borders where you want the patterns to change.  For example, a circle shape, with a single line that crosses the diameter in two or more locations.  The line must begin and end outside the shape.   :o
3.)  Go to menu bar > Shapes > Operations > fragment.
4.)  Select a border section and change line pattern.  Don't move these pieces!  When done, group the borders.
5.)  Select your orginal shape, apply fill pattern, turn off the lines.
6.)  Overlay your custom border on top of your fill pattern.  Use the alignment tool for exact overlay.  Once in position, you may want to make this a group.

HTH
Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

bentheimmigrant

Quote from: wapperdude on April 25, 2009, 03:51:24 PM
A single line can only have a single pattern as far as I know.  You can have varying line styles but they will have to be separate lines.  You can snap and glue them, just don't join them.  If you need a filled shape with various line patterns around the border, I'd try this approach:

1.)  Draw your shape, duplicate it.
2.)  Move the duplicate away from the original.  Take the line tool and draw lines that cross the borders where you want the patterns to change.  For example, a circle shape, with a single line that crosses the diameter in two or more locations.  The line must begin and end outside the shape.   :o
3.)  Go to menu bar > Shapes > Operations > fragment.
4.)  Select a border section and change line pattern.  Don't move these pieces!  When done, group the borders.
5.)  Select your orginal shape, apply fill pattern, turn off the lines.
6.)  Overlay your custom border on top of your fill pattern.  Use the alignment tool for exact overlay.  Once in position, you may want to make this a group.

HTH
Wapperdude

OK... I figured that was my only option, so I did that...

Another question: I'm putting all the dimensions on my design, which is over 5 meters wide. However, I have a few background pages at different scales to show detail. In order to be consistent in my drawing, I'm using mm for all the measurements, but Visio has automatically put 2 decimal places on all the dimensions. I can't for the life of me find on option to just put the number to the mm. Is there any such option or will I have to change them all manually?

Thanks

wapperdude

Right click the dimension shape.  Popup menu gives you precision & units.  You can select the decimal places and also mm units.  Reference stencil is:  DIMENG_M.VSS

HTH
Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

bentheimmigrant

Quote from: wapperdude on April 26, 2009, 10:22:52 PM
Right click the dimension shape.  Popup menu gives you precision & units.  You can select the decimal places and also mm units.  Reference stencil is:  DIMENG_M.VSS

HTH
Wapperdude

Thanks. I really appreciate the help. I'm at the end of my final project, and I just don't have the time to learn Visio fully. I hate deadlines.