How to only change the group shape not any subshapes in the Visio UI?

Started by Visisthebest, May 03, 2024, 09:21:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Visisthebest

If I select a group shape with subshapes and change for instance the text settings from centered to left, the text in the subshapes also moves to the left.

How can I only change the group shape in the Visio UI without changing the subshapes?
Visio 2021 Professional

Thomas Winkel

I don't know if this can be done easy for "finished" group shapes.
But you could protect the sub-shapes using GUARD().

Surrogate

Quote from: Visisthebest on May 03, 2024, 09:21:35 AMHow can I only change the group shape in the Visio UI without changing the subshapes?
If we are talking about changing the alignment of a text block in the group shape.It is enough to open the text block of group shape for editing. I prefer to use the F2 key for this.

Nikolay

No easy way to do that (i.e. nothing like "hold CTRL key when applying")
You can change the ShapeSheet cell "HAlign" for that group shape directly, though.
Meaning, open the ShapeSheet, and change the value in "HAlign" cell

wapperdude

Well, as a group is a virtual shape, just selecting the group will change all sub-shape properties, generally. ...unless...
After you select the group, then use the text tool, then do text formatting.  Unfortunately, Visio still is obliged to change one of the shape's settings, but not the others.  The key is to use the text tool first, otherwise Visio changes all subshapes. 

I did not see how to create a text entry that applied to the virtual group only, thus, creating a "floating" text not associated with any of the subshapes.  Perhaps, for this, need to go to containers realm.

In the scenario where a shape is converted to a group, then, at group level, using the Text tool,  Visio uses this shape for group  text.  But, Visio will default change all subshapes plus group shape if the Text tool is not invoked.
Visio 2019 Pro