Hidden "Text Fields" section in the Shapesheet?

Started by Garden Dwarf, October 04, 2023, 01:39:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Garden Dwarf

Hello,

I have a dumb question but I have searched for an explanation on this forum and on the internet and wasn't able to find help so far (maybe I am using bad keywords?).

In the ShapeSheet of new shapes I draw, in the "View sections..." window, I noticed that the "Text Fields" section, although selected, is greyed out. The section does not show up, I cannot add it and I have no idea how to enable it.

Any hints? Thanks :)

Surrogate

Quote from: Garden Dwarf on October 04, 2023, 01:39:17 PM
I have no idea how to enable it.
We can't add this section via ShapeSheet!

Only via user interface:
1. Select Insert tab at ribbon, in Text group click at  button
2. Press keys Ctrl+F9
After you insert the field, this section will become active in the ShapeSheet!

In this animation you can watch these two ways how insert field!

wapperdude

In addition, to the above, it is possible to add Text Field section using VBA.

For example/additional discussion, see http://visguy.com/vgforum/index.php?topic=9180.msg40713#msg40713
Visio 2019 Pro

Yacine

The above answers are not the whole truth. After having inserted the field you'll find the section in the shapesheet. And you'll be able to edit the formula.
Mind, it is not the equivalent to the text property of the shape. It is used in combination of fields!
Yacine

wapperdude

The reason your Text Field section is grayed doesn't mean hidden text, it means there is no field inserted text present.

Yep.  Not the complete picture.  To fill-in a bit, see reply 4, here:  http://visguy.com/vgforum/index.php?topic=5678.msg22615#msg22615. This deals with regular shape text vs field inserted text.  Note, there is no specific shape section dealing with normal shape text per se.  There are sections dealing with various attributes, but no single, global section.

Visio 2019 Pro