Building a shapesheet formula like =Pages[Page-1]!Sheet.1!ID() frommultiplecells

Started by Visisthebest, November 02, 2021, 10:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Visisthebest

In a shapesheet formula like: =Pages[Page-1]!Sheet.1!ID()

Is it possible to pull the page name and the specific shape Sheet.X name in from other cells?

Visio 2021 Professional

Surrogate

Visisthebest

Visio 2021 Professional

Surrogate

What about another Visio cell, what is stored there: reference or value?

vojo

i am pretty sure that wont work because you will need to concatenate fields in the final cell to create the forumla.   But values will be in text and Visio does not treat a text string as an executable reference.  Longtime ago, I tried something similar but could never get around the text conversion to executable

Visisthebest

Surrogate in the other cell there is only a value, not a formula. For instance, the value string "Page-1"

Good to know vojo this is not possible.

Thank you both!
Visio 2021 Professional

Surrogate

If you have in cell value, which wrapped into commas you can parse pagename and shape name from this value

Visisthebest

Ok great Surrogate so this is possible!

How do I refer to such a cell from a formula?
Visio 2021 Professional

Surrogate

Quote from: Surrogate on November 02, 2021, 01:28:45 PM
If you have in cell value, which wrapped into commas you can parse pagename and shape name from this value
I mean this trick

User.CellRef="Pages[ooo]!Sheet.2!ID()"There is stored reference to some cell
User.PN_start=FIND("[",User.CellRef)Start of PageName position, after "["
User.PN_end=FIND("]",User.CellRef)End of PageName position, before "]"
User.PN=MID(User.CellRef,User.PN_start+1,User.PN_end-User.PN_start-1)PageName - string between "[" and "]"
User.SN_start=FIND("!",User.CellRef)Start of ShapeName position, after first "!"
User.SN_end=FIND("!",User.CellRef,User.SN_start+1)End of ShapeName position, before second "!"
User.SN=MID(User.CellRef,User.SN_start+1,User.SN_end-User.SN_start-1)ShapeName - string between "!" and "!"

Visisthebest

Visio 2021 Professional

vojo

I guess you just want to parse the text....not some sort of indirect indexing.  sorry, misunderstood what you wanted to
(parse the text string can be done.....reference the cell the text string points to cant be done).

Visisthebest

vojo yes I may not be able to use it exactly as I wanted (so you understood what I wanted to achieve well), but what Surrogate shared is very useful for what I'm building and gave me some new ideas I'm gonna use!
Visio 2021 Professional