Updating Title Blocks across Multiple Files

Started by zisforzorro, January 23, 2014, 02:05:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zisforzorro

I work with projects that often contain 20-100 visio drawings (1 file per drawing) in one directory. Minus the drawing title / number (purple), the title blocks are identical (yellow). I'm looking for a way to replace all title blocks in the directory from one template visio file.

If this is not possible, is there a way to have a vba script (included in every file opened) that would pull information from a template and create an updated title block?

Any help to push me in the right direction is welcome.
Thank you for your time.

nashwaan

Normally, the Visio drawing files should have been created from a Visio template file. If a Visio drawing file is already created, it cannot be linked back to a Visio template file. Actually, a Visio template is just a normal Visio drawing and serves as a good way to have common shapes and Masters that should appear in all drawings that should have these shapes.

You can automatically replace all title blocks in the drawings with a template title block using VBA code as there is no limit on the things you can solve with coding, but I didn't quite understand your existing drawings.

So you have a folder where there are many Visio files:
* What is the extension for Visio files (as this has changed many times over many Visio versions)?
* Does each Visio file has a single page or many pages? Or multiple pages where each page contains a drawing?
* In the Drawing page, are you using a custom Master shape for the Title blocks?
* For the purple boxes (Drawing Title and Drawing Number), do you want these boxes to be filled automatically? If yes, where are these information stored?
* For the Yellow boxes, do you want same information to be filled for all the Visio files under the folder?

The solution will depend on these answers and it will not necessarily means you need VBA code.

If you can attach a sample drawing file that contains the title block (without the actual drawing), then we might help you in a better way.

Yousuf.
Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe — Abraham Lincoln

Yacine

A first quick and dirty solution would be to insert the title block as OLE object on the background page.
A better, but more difficult solution could consist of replacing the titel block on the open event of the drawing.
HTH,
Yacine
Yacine