Cannot display shape data on certain shapes

Started by MattMXD, July 22, 2010, 11:44:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MattMXD

Hi Guys,

I'm baffled as to why I can not see the shape data that I've created on certain shapes.  I downloaded various shapes from various places to help plan out a SharePoint site.  I added shape data to a 'teamsite' shape, and then went to 'Edit Data Graphic', choose the relevant field but no luck.  I have selected the 'Data' drop down and then 'Display Data on shapes', and then choosen a method and 'Apply to selected shape' (with the correct shape selected), and nothing happens. Arggh.  If I choose 'Hide shape text if data graphic is applied', then the shape text disappears, but still no shape data.

If I follow the same procedure with other shapes then I do see the shape data!

The only clues I have are: the picture toolbar appears when I select the shape which does not display the data.

I don't know a lot about the ShapeSheet and how it works, but I gather everything you want is written in there, and therefore it gives you the ability to stuff things up.  I'm not messed with, and with my amature eye there is nothing crazy in it to stop anything being displayed.

Any clues, solutions, help greatly appreciated.
Matt

aledlund

Without seeing the shapes, and the data you are attempting to attach, it's a tough guess. Occasionally it turns out that somebody is getting burned by naming conventions. If a name being used by Visio starts with an underscore it doesn't get displayed (undocumented feature).
al

MattMXD

Hi Aledlund,

If you would at all be able to, I'd really appreciate if you have a look.  I've attached a Visio file and stencil to this post so you can see two shapes.  One which I can't get to work and one which I can. I've been banging my head against a google search for hours now trying to work it out.

Any pointer greatly received.

Thanks,
Matt

aledlund

It kinda looks like the stencil object may be an imported bitmap. When I attempt to apply the datagraphic to the shape on the page I get this error
'*****************
Data graphics cannot be applied to images or other objects that arenĂ¢'t drawn in Visio.
Try converting the object to a grouped shape, add the shape data fields to the group, and then apply the data graphic to the group.
Select the object, and then on the Home tab, in the Arrange group, click Group, and then click Group.
Drag a row of data from the External Data Window to the grouped shape to re-link the data, or enter the data using the Shape Data Window.
Apply the data graphic to the grouped shape.
'*****************
al

MattMXD

Hi Al,

That worked a treat.  Import your picture, group it with itself, then add shape data, then edit data graphic and it appears.  Unfortunately I drew several icons from scratch before I read your reply. Doh.

Do any of the above out of order doesn't work of course.

Thanks,
Matt