Disable format picture?

Started by Michelle, December 10, 2012, 06:17:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michelle

I want to put some text in my shape data that contains the letter C.  It is a part number for a product, and it is a series of numbers with a C:  263C.  The problem is, when I put this (in shape data format cell), the Value cell shows:  "263.0000 c". 

I am thinking this has to do with C in format picture being a date placeholder?  I have tried using / in front of the C, but the / shows up in the Value, then. I even went a bit crazy and tried /2/6/3/C, but the slashes all showed up in the value.  :(

Can anyone help?

Thanks! 
Michelle

Surrogate

Quote from: Michelle
I want to put some text in my shape data that contains the letter C.  It is a part number for a product, and it is a series of numbers with a C:  263C.  The problem is, when I put this (in shape data format cell), the Value cell shows:  "263.0000 c". 
i guess there user data type - currency ?
Quote from: Michelle
I am thinking this has to do with C in format picture being a date placeholder?  I have tried using / in front of the C, but the / shows up in the Value, then. I even went a bit crazy and tried /2/6/3/C, but the slashes all showed up in the value.  :(
May be there used type - date or duration ?  ;)
what type of shape data are you use ? Try "string", it can contain digit and words
MSDN info about types

Michelle

Well, I had Type set to =1(I like to work in the shape sheet, but I know these are the same settings), which is a fixed list.

I have had no problems with mixture of digits & words in any other shape, just this one. It has to have something to do with the C itself, because if I change it to an F for example... it works fine.

Surrogate

what format of text field are you use in problem shape ?

look at section "Text fields", cell "Format"

Michelle

I want my user to have a drop down to choose from, so in the Format cell of Shape Data I Have:  "264C;456C;700RT"

The first two numbers come out strange in the Value Cell.  Instead of appearing just as I entered them, they show as 264.0000 c and 456.0000 c.  The third option shows up as 700RT, just as I want.  How can I force Visio to show the Value of the other two in that same manner as I have them listed in the Format cell??

I typically work in the Shape Sheet, but I didn't post this question to that forum, because it did not seem (to me) to be an issue of the shape sheet.

Any help greatly appreciated.
Michelle

Paul Herber

You want two fields, one containing the number and one with the letter(s), both can be in drop-downs, then in the shape you can show the two fields.
Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

Surrogate

read there about fields formats

Michelle

I'm so sorry, I am clearly not expalinning myself well.  I *thought* that my problem had something to do with some kind of format picture, even thoug I am not using a format picture.  I am only trying to set up Shape Data.  The text doesn't actually even show on the shape at all, but I need it to evaluate correctly, because we will be running reports on the pages created with these shapes.  The user does not directly choose this part of the Data, but it's value is changed depending on the choice a user makes in another Shape Data value. 

Please look at the attached shape.  In shape Data, the PartNumber.Format cell is where I have entered my fixed list.  The PartNumber.Value cell is where it is evaluating incorrectly.  It's something to do with tyhe letter C.  I'm stumped! 

Sorry again for really confusing everyone.  I hope my attached shape helps clear it up a little.   :-[

Michelle

Surrogate

Sorry, my english is little  :-[
i am affraid that i don't understand you. in your attachment file when i change value in field Prop.PartNumber, i see that also changes values in fields: Description, Cost, Choice and DieboldPN. And label in Menu Actions.Row_1 !!!

what you mean PartNumber value evaluating incorrectly ?

Surrogate

Are you sure that you need to use there selection method by description ?

Please add to your attachment shapes with correct evaluates. And tell more about correct criterias !

Michelle

Yes, I definitely need to make the selection by description, and I definitely need the other shape data items to change accordingly.  When I say it's not evaluating right I mean that on my system (Visio 2010) when I change the cells to show values then go to the shape and select one of the descriptions that has the "C" part numbers, the value in the PartNumber cell reads "263.0000 c" rather than "263C" 

It looks from your attachment, Surrogate, that it's working  like I want on your system.  Very top right corner of your attachment, shows Prop.PartNumber as 263C.  Mine shows 263.0000 c, even though the Prop.PartNumber Format Cell has 463C;263C;CellComRT as the only choices.  I am a little curious why the value cell of Prop.Description only shows the cost... on my machine it shows the description(which is long.) 

I think I'm more confused!

Surrogate

oh, i understand now !!!
in visio 2003 i too see "263.0000 c" in this cell.
in shapesheet in menu View, first time i set Formulas. And after return View to Values, i see "263C"...

why your users see that in shapesheet , not in shapedata window? ussualy shapesheet is tool for developers, not for users. defaultly in visio2010 developer mode is off !!!

i think it is only curious representation. you know that there must be "263C", because you use fixed list :)
and have no matters what displayed in this cell...

Surrogate

For example, next curious representation :)

in shape data you can see "13.12.2012", but in another place this value may be represented as "DATETIME(41256)"