Pulling network folder security information to autopopulate an 'org chart'?

Started by KeithRuck, April 28, 2010, 11:44:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KeithRuck

I have several CSV files (reports) showing for each folder in our LAN directory tree, the user groups that have security permissions, and whether those permissions are read-only, or modify. I was looking at how to parse the data in Excel to build an org chart representing the directory structure, with each box containing a list of the groups and their permissions... when I realized that perhaps someone else has already done something similar but pulled the information directly into Visio.

If anyone has created an org chart that displays a LAN directory tree and/or has code that pulls the directory security permissions (groups and access levels) into a chart, I would greatly appreciate any pointers, or even code snippets to get me started.

In a perfect world, my final product would allow me to pick a directory and number of levels of subfolders (including the option of "all") and have it build the chart on the fly. That way we could use it on any directory at any time to validate security permissions.

Thank you,
Keith

jastronomy

if you got anywhere with this; i'd be very interested in re-using your code/methods.